Study travel on artificial intelligence and risk and crisis management - california (USA)
From August 24 to September 1, 2019, a French delegation travelled to California on the initiative of HCFDC and organized by the Director General, Christian Sommade (https://www.hcfdc.org).
The principal objective was to meet the crisis management players related to artificial intelligence; Nicolas Beaurez and Arnaud Ganaye represented the Cerema. The topics covered directly and indirectly concerned the SANCTUM project.
Several appointments were scheduled on the subject with :
- the French consul of California, Emmanuel Lebrun-Damiens, in San Francisco, who explained to us the difficulties encountered in the event of a major crisis,
- Jack Baker, head of Stanford University's Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. The topics of major risk "floods" were raised,
- One Concern's commercial director, Joe PALUSKA, Head of Communication and Marketing in Palo Alto, on topics of geo-referencing and management of risk databases, including wildfirefires,
- President of The Future of Technology and CTO - Senior Vice President of Innovation at Samsung Electronics - Strategy and Innovation Center, Dr. Luc JULIA, in San Jose, who introduced us to the limits of artificial intelligence in today's systems,
- The head of the Department of Nuclear Engineering at the University of Berkeley, Kai VETTER, who has access his presentation on nuclear risks, including the impact of Fukushima on the West Coast of the USA,
- Richard Allen, Director of the Berkeley Seismological Lab. at Berkeley university, who spoke about the MyShake application that concerns seismic risks around the world,
- Cal OES officials and its collaborators in Sacramento; it's the operational and crisis center for all of California,
- San Francisco Fire Department officials; it is the operational and crisis center of San Francisco,
- Kristin Hogan Schildwachter, External Affairs manager in the San Francisco Department of Emergency Management, to discuss the SF72 label in connection with the network of 100 resilient cities.
Many exchanges were collected. They will be the subject of a rich and informative feedback.